Apprentice Training School
NOTICE * NOTICE * NOTICE
HAZMAT / OSHA REFRESHER COURSE
Please call the Apprentice Training School to Reserve your seat !
APPRENTICE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT BEING ACCEPTED AT THIS TIME
575 Horse Block Road
Yaphank, NY 11719
Stephen Barnett, Administrator
Vincent Razzano, Training Director
Ken Huber, Hazmat Training Director
The International Union of Operating Engineers Local 138, 138A, 138B & 138C Apprenticeship Training School (ATS), offers a high quality skill development training program in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, Long Island, New York.
This program is registered with NYS and is jointly sponsored by the Local 138 membership and the employers for whom Local 138 supplies labor.
Apprenticeship is an excellent way to learn heavy equipment operation and the construction industry on a whole. The program is designed to give someone who knows little about the industry the knowledge to become a skilled operator. Local 138 ATS students learn both in the classroom and in the field from qualified instructors and Local 138 members that volunteer their time and effort to help better Local 138’s workforce.
Local 138 and the International Union of Operating Engineers offers training opportunities to all regardless of race, sex, creed, color, religion or national origin. Listed below are the requirements and the enrollment period for the program.
Apprentice Applicant Minimum Qualifications
Age: at least 18 years of age.
Education: applicants must satisfy the apprenticeship committee that they:
1. have the ability and aptitude to master the rudiments of the trade
2. 12th grade or equivalent education to satisfactorily complete the required hours of instruction.
Residence: resident of Nassau or Suffolk county.
Citizenship: United States citizen or have the legal right to work in the United States.
Health: physically able to perform the work required of the trade.
1. Applicants must have a valid New York state driver's license.
2. not presently enrolled in an apprentice training program.
3. sign a written agreement to attend scheduled vestibule training in addition to a minimum of 160 hours per year of related instruction for 3 years on applicant's own time and expense.
Previous Experience: applicants claiming previous experience must accept local 138's apprenticeship committee's evaluation procedure.